"Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war...."
-- Julius Caesar

"Life...is a tale...full of sound and fury...."
-- Macbeth

"No woman can be too rich or too thin."
-- Wallis Simpson

"Let them eat cake."
-- Somebody, but not Marie Antoinette

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Visit to the Vet

Today I went to the vet. It was a typical veterinary visit for a regular and routine wellness procedure, so please, do not worry that I, Poppy, am ill.

It went something like this.

Mommy put Duncan in the mud room, but without me. I watched her closely to see what it all meant. When she had turned the key, and told Duncan that he was a good boy and we would see him in an hour, she looked at me and said, "Ready?"

"Ready" is the magic word. I perk up when I hear that word. I start to bark when I hear that word. It means that Mommy is going to put on my leash and that I am going to get to go for a ride in the car. Rides in the car are most important because I am With Mommy, which is the reason for my life's happiness. Second, they are important because they usually end some place that I like, like Grandma and Grandpa's house, or Petsmart. Today I was a good girl and sat so Mommy could put on my leash. Then I danced and jumped all the way out the door.

I am a good rider in the car. I am not allowed in the front seat, so I sit in the back, on my bed. Often, I fall asleep. Other times, I look out the window. I am highly offended whenever I see people or dogs walking along the sidewalk. How dare they walk along the street when it is within my view?

When the car slows down and starts and stops a lot, I like to stand with my forepaws on the center console and look out the front window. I like to know where I'm going to end up.

Today we ended up at the vet. I was very excited. The vet smells like dogs and cats and other various animals. I pulled on my leash all the way in.

I am happy in the lobby. There are people there who pet and coo at me. There are bags of food that smell particularly yummy. Mommy makes me sit on the thing called the "scale." I am too excited to stay still, so Mommy makes me go up there a second time. Mommy looks at the reading on the wall and grimaces. Today she grimaced again, and I jumped off and went searching for crumbs on the floor.

We went into the little room, and I was excited and happy until we got there and the door closed. Then a human lady came in and Mommy put me on the table. It is a high table, and I have jumped off of it before, and I tried to do it today, but Mommy held me there. It takes all of Mommy's strength to hold me down while the lady performs the procedure. I do not like procedures, and I get a very angry look on my face when they are performed on me. Today was no different.

But when the procedure is over, I try to fly off of the table, because when I get down on the floor and sit, I get a treat. Today, the lady was slow in getting me my treat, so I barked at her.

No comments: