"Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war...."
-- Julius Caesar

"Life...is a tale...full of sound and fury...."
-- Macbeth

"No woman can be too rich or too thin."
-- Wallis Simpson

"Let them eat cake."
-- Somebody, but not Marie Antoinette

Friday, April 25, 2008

Being Small in a Big World

Last night my daddy came home from a party late, after mommy and I had gone to sleep. My big brother, Duncan, always takes the night shift, so I don't have to do too much guarding after dark. He does not seemed phased by the imminent threat of the schoolchildren who descend upon the schoolyard across the street from our house every day, but I'm there to voice my concerns about them, so his negligence is not so threatening. Anyway, I was startled by this big man coming into the bedroom, so I jumped up and ran to the corner next to the alarm clock, possibly to hide under the bedside table. It is scary having to wonder whether you are going to be stepped on all the time. Even in your sleep.

No comments: